Diving in the Uprightness of Learning Amidst Covid-19

Covid-19: A Hindrance To Students' Future?

image source: https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/43136108920493227/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”Nelson Mandela.


    As to the fact that we are facing another enemy that's invisible to our eyes; add up with natural disasters and calamities this 2020, we can't deny that this new normal is not definitely normal to us. The new learning system has created big impact to students' mental and physical health. First things first is the mental health of students' dealing with online classes with the presence of  moderate and sometimes sluggish internet connection that results to various negative outcome just like irrational task delay (e.i. high trait procrastination). And the latter, the risk is that the technology becomes all-consuming and one must worry most about the potential negative impact on sleep of students.

    Procrastination is the act of delaying or putting off tasks until the last minute, or past their deadline. Some researchers define procrastination as a "form of self-regulation failure characterized by the irrational delay of tasks despite potentially negative consequences. 

    But amidst this new normal caused by Covid - 19, students' overcome hardships through the time. 

    This year is terrible globally as school is closed, the future is uncertain! This is the year where we should select the college we want to attend, but nothing is clear for the moment. 

    According to Subrabas, Dwight- a friend of mine, "Distance learning is all right, it only depends on how you deal with the new educational system. Education can be dynamic, its systems condition changes. Modern technology brought a lot of changes in the way people live. In this case, we’ve been through and until now been suffering the pandemic, we can normalize it the way we deal in the new normal system. Yes, not all have the privilege but we have choice either we pursue things because we have the right to pursue or settle for not changing our future. “If you want to cure ignorance then start to love studying and dare to accept that as time goes by everything changes."

    If truth to be told, our beloved teachers are doing everything to the best of their ability. Printing modules and making videos of themselves teaching. Providing Weekly Leaning Plan just to make sure we follow instructions and make our work easier. There are many different subjects for Grade 12- HUMSS but thankfully, this semester does not include General Mathematics or Physics because I don't know how to handle such underwhelming subject. 

    The major subjects include the following:
  • Practical Research 2
  • English for Academic and Professional Purposes
  • Contemporary Philippine Arts
  • Introduction to the Philosophy of the Human Person
  • Pagsulat sa Filipino sa Larang Akademik
  • Health Optimizing Physical Health 3

    And the addition of Trends, Networks and Critical Thinking and the Introduction to the World Religion. Coping with these subjects are indeed hard, especially now that we are having self-study just to make sure we learn enough. We watch videos in the internet to aid our curious minds because not all the information about the lesson is indicated in the module and we also scroll for research about our lessons and then I found out that some of the questions are already on the internet already. It's quite a good approach.

    What subject I love most is the English for Academic and Professional Purposes because it's more on writing my opinions and insights about the world. It teach me how to write coherently which I can also apply to the subjects just like Practical Research 2. And the subject what interest me most is the Introduction to Philosophy and also the Contemporary Arts- these subjects are new to me that's why I am more fascinated to know about it more. I love researching for facts and truth about the lessons of these subjects. 

    On the other hand, I like reading piece in the Filipino medium, I learn a lot while reading and it adds difficult and unfamiliar meaning of words to my vocabulary. As for Physical Education subject, I am still not sure if I am doing well in this subject for it is more on dancing and I am sure enough that dancing isn't for me. If dancing is as easy as writing novels and poetry, I'd love it. But for me, it gives me chills and goosebumps reading from the instruction to dance. I make fun of myself while doing the practice but later on I put on a poker face and be serious then.  In the end, I overcome everything I fear and dislike. 

    Each subjects fabricated my mind and vocabulary a lot more every day. I taught me that not everything we see beforehand are enough, instead we should research more and expand our sources to be wise and knowledgeable. Being able to differentiate reliable and undependable sources. 

    These days, only books and technologies are always with me and I am sure that I'm learning every day. That's why at the end, everybody must congratulate each and everyone after surpassing a great battle of minds and bravery- For life will never have a crystal stair, it'll have tacks in it and boards torn up. (Got that line from Langston Hughes from his poem, "From Mother to Son)

  Do I hate the new education system sometimes?

    Do the  achieving students hate the education system even for some times? It seems unlikely – contradictory almost. But I am convinced that most of us do. And you would think that I wouldn’t. You would think it would be those who struggle with school, and to a degree, you would be right. But in my experience, there is no single group that despises school more than those who seem to have mastered it. But they don’t loathe being there and they don’t resent learning – their contempt is for the outdated psychological and pedagogical systems which underpin education.

    We all have specific and various needs that aren’t always gratify for us because the school system is so driven towards conformity and ‘results’. We’re encouraged to produce something that looks like a memo in a test as we are expected to think and respond in a certain way.

    Parents' are expected to help their children with this distance learning but when you are in high school, you don't need someone to teach you instead you, you teach yourself. But sometimes, having time with our guardians is fun and accommodating. Just like I and my guardian, she sometimes ask me how am I doing. And it comforts me hearing her ask me that question. 
Me and my guardian

    It is not actually necessary to find and make a learning place, we can learn anywhere at our own comfort if we want to. You can study at the balcony, at the bench, at the stairs, in your own room and even in the kitchen, as long as you are passionate to learn and study, you will succeed.



    Online learning is not the only type of distance learning. While the Covid-19 pandemic sent educational institutions scrambling to move classes online, many forget that there are other modes for distance learning. For instance, the Department of Education (DepEd) developed TV/radio-based instruction methods to utilize existing technologies that reach rural areas. However, the most popular mode of distance learning under consideration is modular learning.


    At first, I chose online class but I moved immediately to modular learning. Modular learning is a form of distance learning that uses Self-Learning Modules based on the most essential learning competencies provided by DepEd. The modules include sections on motivation and assessment that serve as a complete guide of both teachers’ and students’ desired competencies. Teachers will monitor the learners’ progress through home visits (following social distancing protocols) and feedback , and guide those who need special attention.


    Though sometimes, when I message teachers of a specific subject they don't respond.

School as an Agent of Socialization



I got this photo of me in my Facebook account, this was three years ago. You see my classmates at the back and beside me answering at their own risk. It is what school means, having fun while learning.It feels nostalgic to keep having to flashback with such a photo of me smiling while learning.







Having friends and socializing is one of the things we do in school. 
Good friends are good for your health. Friends can help you celebrate good times and provide support during bad times. Friends prevent loneliness and give you a chance to offer needed companionship, too. Friends can also:
  • Increase your sense of belonging and purpose
  • Boost your happiness and reduce your stress
  • Improve your self-confidence and self-worth
  • Help you cope with traumas, such as divorce, serious illness, job loss or the death of a loved one
  • Encourage you to change or avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as excessive drinking or lack of exercise
   These are the things that were deprived to us by this pandemic. Terrible. But mingled with pandemic, we can never be defeated,



    Ozamiz City School of Arts and Trades provided their students solace and total accommodation. From giving of conventional modules, to creating weekly plan, to securing the health of guardians who get the module every week- everything is well. Challenges are always there on the way but we can always find ways to make things happen, never let anything be a hindrance for learning, for your future.

    The major challenge I am facing during this distance learning is the feeling of isolation because I am used of having social interaction with people while learning as it makes impact on me as working together with my classmates in person. As we ride out the crisis, my teachers in different subjects would schedule an online meet up every once a week to give clarification about our queries and issues. Amidst the pandemic I am sure enough that I am learning because my teachers are accommodating and they would give their best in every way they can. Instead of expecting us to catch up with our classmates on what we have had missed, teaching staff made arrangements to ensure we could receive the learning content and have questions answered. It is important to ensure that we are not missing out on learning. Having technology on our hands to allow us to participate in discussions whenever possible is also a big help. Hence, I honor the teaching profession worldwide. This pandemic posed great challenges for us students, but little did we know even teachers are also adjusting in the new normal. Though they are facing difficulties, they are doing their best to accommodate students in this modified learning system. With that, I would like to thank and appreciate the efforts of our second parents, our beloved teachers.


    An education should nurture students’ own passions and interests, and to help us to develop and test great ideas of our own, not just to learn about Newton’s or Shakespeare’s. The teacher’s main objective seems to be to cover everything that will be in the final exit exam and not to deviate from the curriculum. But how does this fit with what students want, and with what the world wants? Students should be free to explore and ask questions, not just be given pre-molded answers.


    The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the world. Due to the nature of the virus, particularly how it is transmitted, it has altered human behaviors, relations and lifestyles, and had profound impacts on the economic, political and cultural landscapes of societies across the world. It has likewise exacerbated poverty, discrimination and inequalities in many parts of the world, not only through how Covid-19 appears to affect poorer communities more than the rich, but also as a consequence of the measures taken by states to control the spread of the virus, primarily by curtailing freedom of movement through the imposition of community quarantine, lock downs and curfews in many parts of the world.


    The mere fact that the world is still moving- rotating and revolving, there is still hope for the future. There will be another bright tomorrow and a light sparkling the pathway to success. In the middle of the chaos it is easy to forget about your needs, but do not forget that there's a need for you to still dream one part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Erika Dejos Barretto


Student of Humanities and Social Sciences

Blogging Enthusiast || Writer || Poet 

__________________________________________________

"This is my unified Performance Task 3, it was so fun making this in the process. Though it takes courage and wisdom to say many words, I indeed overcome it."













References:

https://headfoundation.org/HESB8/covid-19-and-its-impact-on-higher-education-in-the-philippines/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40847-020-00107-z#:~:text=Several%20elements%20which%20cause%20negative,chain%20networks%2C%20transportation%2C%20social%20networking







Comments

Post a Comment